Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Communities students help out at Park View Health Center

Junior+Lila+Murphy+works+with+a+resident+at+Park+View+Health+Center.+Communities+students+partnered+with+Director+Missy+Grundman+to+volunteer+and+gain+real-world+skills.+
Junior Lila Murphy works with a resident at Park View Health Center. Communities students partnered with Director Missy Grundman to volunteer and gain real-world skills.

The Communities program at Oshkosh North High School has teamed up with Missy Grundman, the Director of Park View Health Center. North students were sent out to help combat senior isolation. Once a week for the past two months students interacted with the residents to converse and play games. On April 23rd, students held painting and potting plants events for the residents at Park View. This allowed for residents to express themselves and connect with students. When planning for the event students had one goal in mind, give them a chance to connect and express themselves with students. According to BMC Public Health, senior isolation can affect 50% of anyone over the age of 60.
Though Park View does an amazing job of caring for their residents, Communities students wanted to give the residents a chance to interact with teens. For the painting and potting plants Kiwanis graciously donated 60 succulent plants for the residents at Park View. The event lasted for over an hour, starting at 1:15 pm and ending at around 2:30. Students gave the residents a unique, hands-on and engaging experience. After the event residents can either keep and take care of their succulent or gift them to another resident.

###

About Communities at Oshkosh North High School: Communities is an interdisciplinary, project-based program at Oshkosh North High School offering students a unique way to learn English, social studies, and leadership content and skills through community engagement. Communities students investigate and engage in community problems through collaboration with businesses, organizations, and members of the community in an effort to provide authentic learning experiences while improving the local, national, and global community. To learn more visit www.communitiesonhs.org.

###

Park View Health Center is a county-owned, skilled nursing facility dedicated to providing services to residents of the Winnebago County community in need oflong-term care, short-term rehabilitative care, and specialized behavioral services.