Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Communities once again has a new face: Barby Ames

Communities once again has a new face. English teacher Barby Ames will help lead the program.

Ames is not new to teaching. For 21 years she has taught outside of Oshkosh, most recently at Fond du Lac High School. Ames’ first job teaching was on the south side of Chicago.

After spending all of her high school years at Oshkosh North High School,

she decided to come back this year. Ames is now in the Communities program, trying something new, but she doesn’t feel like a stranger.

“I feel comfortable. I know I haven’t been here very long, but I feel comfortable.”  

Ames joined Communities because she was approached by someone with the unique opportunity, and she saw it as a change from traditional. 

“I had kind of gotten in my head that I wanted to get to North. Being a North graduate myself, it was just a really great opportunity. I’m very happy I took advantage of it.”

Ames started her college career in elementary education but soon switched to secondary English. 

“I started college in elementary education. I was in one of my Shakespeare classes, and I was listening to my teacher, the passion she had for the subject. I realized I don’t want to be an elementary school teacher because I want to have conversations like that with students.”

Ames’ past has prepared her for her time at North. Her time teaching in the South Side of Chicago was definitely her hardest teaching experience. 

“It was like the second week of school, and a kid let pepper spray into the ventilation system. I was on the third floor, and they made the announcement that they were aware a chemical substance had been released in the building.  They told us to shut our door. They ended up evacuating us because students and some staff started vomiting, so then ambulances had to come.” 

Teaching in the South Side of Chicago was very unfamiliar to Ames. 

“That was a completely different world to me. It’s kind of like they push you into the classroom, shut the door, and good luck.” 

Some advice Ames has for her students is to try their best.  

“No matter what you do, do that to the best of your ability, because our name is connected to something that really represents us too. If everybody gave their all in what they do, think about how great things would be.”