Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Transforming High School Students with Financial Literacy

Communities Program at Oshkosh North Partners with Community First Credit Union to teach Financial literacy classes to students

The Communities program at Oshkosh North High School and the Community First Credit Union hosted a financial literacy excel class. Students show up for a 25 minute excel class, on Wednesday’s March 20th, April 10th, April 24th, and May 1st. They participate in activities and games about budgeting, credit cards, loans and retirement. Members of Community First Credit Union, Ben Clausen, Tiffany Powers, and Ben Mackie give a short presentation on money management and how a student might adjust their spending habits. These classes teach students how to be financially independent and how to save their money once out of high school and going into the workforce or college. 

Brannick Larson and Warren Seeley, two juniors in the Communities program are taking this project on as their semester of service. All Juniors in the Communities program participate in a semester of service where they give back to the community. The recent classes on budgeting and credit cards were a success. The two remaining classes are held on April 24th, and May 1st. The two classes will cover student loans, and retirement. A recent junior attende, Liem Murphy, said that “As someone heading off to college, I was grateful to learn about budgeting and how it will help me in the future.” Students who are interested, sign up for the “Let’s Talk Money” excel. For more information, please visit the Communities Facebook or Instagram. 

###

About Communities at Oshkosh North High School: Communities is an interdisciplinary, project-based program at Oshkosh North High School offering students a unique way to learn English, social studies, and leadership content and skills through community engagement. Communities students investigate and engage in community problems through collaboration with businesses, organizations, and members of the community in an effort to provide authentic learning experiences while improving the local, national, and global community. To learn more visit www.communitiesonhs.org