Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Crochet club comes to North

Students+crochet+during+Excel+period+Friday%2C+Feb.+2.+
Students crochet during Excel period Friday, Feb. 2.

Recently, several students led the charge to create a crochet club that meets during Excel period every Friday.

Sophomores Hannah Conrad and JD Boyd invented the crochet club, with teacher Pamela O’loughlin advising.

“They [the sophomore students] approached me with the idea, and I said yes. I don’t even know how to crochet,” O’Laughlin said. 

Crocheting is a process of creating textiles by using crochet hooks to interlock loops of yarn, thread, or strands of other materials. 

During the Excel meetings, they make a variety of items including stuffed animals, pillows, sweaters, bags, and granny squares which can be used to make blankets. 

“We are making granny squares right now. We thought about combining them to make a quilt,” freshmen Sienna Hyde said. 

Boyd was inspired to make this club because their grandma taught them.

“I started crochet club because my grandma taught me a while ago, and I thought that it would be cool for people to know how to do it. Plus it feels accomplishing to say, ‘Yeah I made that’ whenever you finish a project.”

During the meetings, students talk to friends, listen to metal music, and crochet with some either teaching how to crochet or learning how to crochet. 

“We listen to Rob Zombie and metal music while crocheting,” Boyd said.

Anyone interested can join the club at any time. Students should simply sign up when they see the Excel time offered.

Members think that students should join the club because it provides a chance to hang out with friends, listen to  Rob Zombie, and create lots of unique projects and designs.

“I think people should join because there’s so many things you can make, and it’s also fun. It gives you something to do while watching tv, so you’re productive AND you get something out of it,” said Boyd.

View Comments (1)