Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Swim Spotlight: Junior Captain Grace Penzenstadler

Bj Cavil

With the season coming to a close after sectionals, the Oshkosh North/ Lourdes girls swim team had one individual moving on to State: Kiersten Dietschweiler, a freshman at Lourdes. The team–who did not have any seniors this year–hope the gains they made this year will allow other swimmers to accompany Dietschweiler next year.

Grace Penzenstadler is a junior captain of the girls swim team here at North, and since the season is coming to an end, I asked her some questions about the season.

Do you have any pre-meet rituals or eating habits?

“I always have a Celsius. I eat a bowl of cereal and a KIND bar. Also, I always jump on the blocks before my race to get in the zone.”

What is your best stroke?

“My best stroke is the butterfly, but it’s not my favorite because it’s hard.”

What is your least favorite stroke? 

“My least favorite stroke is breaststroke because it’s slow and uninteresting.” 

Do you think having no seniors affects the team morale?

“Oh yeah. It’s not even just the seniors; we just don’t have as many people and that includes seniors.” 

Being a junior captain, are there things you would do differently next year?

“Yes, definitely. I want to do more team bonding at the beginning of the year because I didn’t get to know the younger swimmers as much as I wanted to, and I want to make sure everybody knows everybody on the team and that didn’t happen this year.”

When did you first start swimming? 

“I started swimming when I was ten at the YMCA, and I liked it ever since. I can’t imagine not going to swim every day.”

Why do you swim? 

“It’s good exercise, I like to swim with my friends, and it’s relaxing to get in the pool every day. I just like to get in the water too.” 

How long do you plan on swimming competitively? 

“I’ll Definitely continue swimming for the next year. After that, I’m not sure how long I’ll swim before I hang up my cap and goggles.”

Do you have any swimmers you look up to? 

“Ali Pecore because she swam at North for her four years, and she swam in college. I remember her always being encouraging to the younger swimmers even when she didn’t have to be.” 

What is your favorite pool to swim at?

“Neenah because the pool is fast, and the meets are always exciting.” 

Would you recommend swimming to others?

“Yeah! I feel like it’s an easier sport to get into, and if you enjoy being in the water, it’s just fun”

What is your favorite part of the high school swim team?

“My favorite part of the high school swim team is the community of the girls. It’s just the girls because we’re all so close, and we’re with each other all the time and share the joy of swimming.”

What were your goals this season and have you accomplished them?

“Yeah, my one goal for this season was to get a medal which is top three at conference which we did in our 400 free relay.” 

What inspires you to swim every day?

“What inspires me to swim? I’ve dedicated so much of my life to swimming, and I want to finish it out with my friends.”