Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Spotify Wrapped: The musical time-machine to the past

In late November, Spotify released their yearly Wrapped that lists the songs, artist, genres, etc. that you listened to the most. While people shared their Wrapped, some were prideful of their unique taste, and some were embarrassed of it. 

We often forget to see Spotify Wrapped as seasonal fun. However, they can be much more than that; they can be a way to visit your past.

Have you ever noticed how a song can take you back in time and make you feel all the feels? With Spotify Wrapped being released and individuals expressing their feelings and attitudes toward their past; we’re going to be diving into the world of music and its incredible power to transport us into our past, bringing out those serious emotions!

Think about it – that one song that played during the unforgettable school dance or the tune you cranked up while cruising with friends. Music has this super cool ability to act like a time machine, bringing us right back to those moments when life felt like a rollercoaster of emotions. And while Spotify Wrapped started as a marketing campaign, users are sharing their music history to bring the people close to them… closer. 

Imagine listening to a song and suddenly feeling like you’re back at your sixth-grade graduation, sporting those awkward braces and thinking you were the coolest kid in the room. Music has this way of unlocking memories we thought were lost in the depths of our brain.

Earlier this month, while I was looking back on my 2023 music, I went down a rabbit hole of past years. In my 2020 wrapped – right when COVID-19 was really hitting us all – it’s 80% One Direction. I, along with many others, had random phases a few years too late during COVID. 

And it’s not just about memories; music has the power to turn us into those emotional rollercoasters. You know those songs that hit you right in the feels, making you feel like you’re riding an emotional wave? Whether it’s a heartbreak anthem or a hype-up track before a big game, music knows how to tug at those heartstrings.

So, next time you’re jamming out to your favorite playlist, take a moment to appreciate the fact that you’re on a time-traveling adventure. You’re not just listening to notes and beats; you’re reliving your past, and creating a way for your brain to revisit those moments, one song at a time.

Whether it’s the latest pop sensation or an old-school classic your parents rocked out to, music is the ultimate time machine into the past. So, turn up the volume, let the songs guide you, and enjoy the journey through the soundtrack of your life!