Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Following the news since 1972

The North Star

Media center adds more resource stations

The media center has added several resource stations–-including a 3D printer and soon-to-be-released AI book suggestion app–-to engage students’ learning using the newest technology.
Even though it isn’t a new addition to the media center, the 3D printers have seen a peak in popularity among the student body.
“We’ve had the printers for a couple of years,” said ONHS Media Specialist Teri Rucinsky. “It seems like they have been printing nonstop since I brought them outside of my office. Anyone can use it as long as they ask.”
Soon, the media center will have access to an AI book suggesting program. In fact, Rucinsky herself designed it.
“I actually created an AI chat bot. All you do is type in the type of book you are looking for, and it will give you suggestions,” said Mrs. Rucinsky. “It’s in beta mode as of right now. The AI potential is limitless. Eventually we will get it up and running for students to use.”

A snapshot of how the AI book recommender will look like.

Not only is the media center making it easier for students, they are also teaching students new life skills that they might carry into their futures.
“Within the last couple of years, we have gotten a lot of different kinds of robotics. We have dash robots. They are small robots which can be coded using an iPad. It’s a great way to get into robotics. You can make it fit your personal level of coding,” Rucinsky said.
An example is the ozobots, a smaller robot that can be coded with markers, as well as coding programs.
But of course robotics isn’t the only thing offered to the students. There are LEGOs, and robotic LEGOs, which may end up playing a big part in the media center.
“I am currently working with someone to possibly build us a LEGO wall that is ADA-accessible,” said Rucinsky. “I have the materials to build the lego wall, but at the moment when I purchased it, I wasn’t thinking about accessibility for all students. I’ve been putting off building the wall so we can make sure that everyone is able to access it.”
Despite all the new attractions, Rucinsky says she wishes more students would utilize the available resources.
“There aren’t as many students as we would like to use the stations in the media center,” said Rucinsky. “We definitely have a strong following of kids that come in during their open hours, they use a lot of the resources we have here. Also the media center does take requests, so if students want to see certain things, feel free to ask!”