Guest Column: Evangelicalism vs Science

The divide between Secular and Religious scientists on climate change and Young Earth Theory.

Guest Column: Evangelicalism vs Science

William Keown, Guest Writer

What do you consider our community to be? I consider it no more than a game of telephone. Messages are sent and corroded along the way. We see this throughout history: the miscommunication of the charge of the Light Brigade; British Calvary road straight into Russia’s artillery. 

Though, there always seems to be the same conflict from time and time again, how did this universe come to be? How can we be assured of what we are told?

No, it’s not what your free public education taught you.

I’ll provide a factual foundation for disproving climate change & the young earth theory.

Climate Change

Throughout history are false prophecies which turn into deception. A religious group led by William Miller cut core beliefs such as Hell from the Bible and predicted the end of the world in the 1840’s. After this didn’t come true, Millerism took off! A group, deeply influenced, was created: this group later called themselves Jehovah Witnesses.¹⁶ Could the same happen with science?

In 1970, a new ice age was expected, due to pollution, by the 21st century¹. On May 14, 2014, a french foreign minister stated we have 500 days to avoid climate chaos; 500 days later, on September 29, 2015, “climate chaos” hasn’t happened (nor will it ever).² One of my favorites is from 2009 when Prince Charles issued 96 months to save the planet.³ In 2013, the US navy predicted a complete disappearance of Arctic sea ice to happen by 2016. There are many more that you can read about here¹.

Apart from claims, what data do we have?

The globe was recorded since 1880 and has warmed up by 0.8*C and half of the warming was before there was any chink in the CO2 data.

On the dates 1880-1890, 1910-1940, and 1970-1998, the globe’s temperature was measured rising and falling which was consistent, unlike the CO2 emissions which don’t add up.

Climate change is believed because 97% of scientists say it’s true. Most people believed the Bible is fake because the city of Hittite is mentioned in Joshua and wasn’t discovered back then. The city of Hittite was later discovered by an archeologist in Turkey in 1908 when he found tablets about their city.

Scientists also believe the CO2 will build up and cause another ice age. Not only is this unprovable, but BBC news stated a CO2 build up ended the last 5 major ice ages (they cannot prove there were more than 1).

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts (2 Peter 3:3).

While I don’t support  any mockery towards such scoffers and paranoiacs, such as what South Park did to Al Gore in man-bear-pig, I do condone pointing out this “super cereal”  idiocy in their preaching.

Young Earth

How could life exist on Earth without an electromagnetic field? It helps protect against cosmic radiation and positrons from the sun. But too much of one thing can be bad.

In 1971, Dr. Thomas Barnes proposed that the electromagnetic field’s inertia keeps it going and is like a flywheel without a motor, eventually slowing down. He provided data collected by Keith L. McDonald’s & R.H. Gunst (not well known at the time): the electromagnetic field has been decreasing by 7% since 1835. Using this data, Barnes extrapolated that the halflife of earth’s magnetic field must be around about 1400 years. How exactly could the earth have formed over 10,000 years ago when its electromagnetic field halves in strength in less than a quarter of that time? Truth is, it can’t have, it physically can’t be 10,000 years old.

Barnes theory is supported by research done by Carl Friedrich Gauss. In 1835 he calculated the strength of Earth’s electromagnetic field, documenting the same halflife of 1,400 years. Gauss went further however, based on his data he calculated in reverse from 2000 AD; in 600 AD the magnetic field would have been twice as strong compared to today, and in 800 BC the atmospheric temperature and pressure was four times stronger [take that climate change]. In 2200 BC the magnetic force would be 8x stronger, in 3600 BC: 16x stronger. Gauss, and other scientists who aren’t closed minded, agree that past 10,000 BC, Earth would’ve had a magnetic strength and a surface temperature comparable to that of a cooling star. With an atmospheric pressure of 970 lbs psi and insanely high temperatures, the earth couldn’t have sustained even micro organisms! It is ridiculous to believe life could have existed for millions of years in these extremesonly when the psi came down to a reasonable 14.7 lbs after 10,000 BC could it be reasonably argued for life to exist.

One of the youngest university students in USA, and a genius, William Millis, said this (which disproves Stephen Hawking).

I summarize his speech as follows:

Einstein said in his theory, gravity is caused by the displacement of space-time. If this was true the absence of gravity/absence of space-time must be pure gravity because of the law of flow (matter will travel the pass of least resistance); if there is nothing to resist, that’s the point of least resistance. Blackholes are an absence of space-time; not even light can escape their pull. If all of the universe is space-time, matter and the Higgs field, that must mean outside of the universe there must be an absence of space-time. If that’s true, then the universe isn’t expanding into the absolute void around it. Rather, it’s falling. According to secular science, the universe is roughly 13.8 billion years old; 13.8 billion years ago, when the universe was smaller than a quark: quarks were always there and gravity was always at work; therefore the universe should have no age.

Conclusion

You might be asking yourself, Why would the government lie to me?

In the end times, a one world government will rule. This government will form from a corrupt system spewing lies of fire like a leviathan. Thousands will harken to the call: “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”

If we cannot trust this coven run by snakes in high places, also known as the “Department of Education”, what can we trust? Shall we take Islam, believing human embryos are blood clots (Al Qur’an 22:5) or getting the Christian Trinity wrong (Al Qur’an 5:116) or Hinduism, believing the Sun revolves around the Earth? (Yajur Ved 33:43; Rig Ved Book 1 Hymn 50 Mantra 8; Rig Ved Book 50 Mantra 8).

I trust the God which foreknew Isotropic and anisotropic gems 2000 years before us (Revelation 21:19-20; Ezekiel 8:2).

I trust the God which foreknew a round earth 356-379 years before Aristotle (Isaiah 40:22).

I trust the God which predicted the birth of King Cryus (by name) 150 years before he was born (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1).

To end, I will answer 4 main questions every religion tries to answer: Where did I come from? Where am I going when I die? Who am I (and what am I worth?) Why am I here?

1. We all are created in the image of an all powerful God. He knew and created us all uniquely, before we were birthed.
  2. God gave us all a free will, and guides us in the ways of righteousness (Joshua 24:15; John 7:17; Psalm 23:3). Do you choose to follow righteousness or wickedness? We all have a tendency to follow wickedness and deserve eternal punishment in Hell. But that will never stop God’s love.
  3. You are not what you make yourself to be. We are worth everything to God and nothing can change that. As his greatest creation. God wants to have a personal relationship with us, but sin (violating the law of God) has separated us from Him. God sent his only Son, who knew no sin, to be punished on our behalf. He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities(Isaiah 53:5), and he was crucified for our redemption and rose from the dead the third day to prepare a place for us in Heaven. Without shedding of blood, there is no remission (Hebrews 9:22). Anyone who admits they are guilty of sin accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and believes he rose from the dead the third day will have everlasting life in Heaven.
  4. Our purpose is to glorify God the Father by serving his will. Accepting his Son (Jesus Christ), and submitting to the Holy Spirit. Unless you believe in #3, you have no purpose.

Sources:

Climate change:

1. Myron Ebell • Steven J. Milloy • 09/18/2019, et al. “Wrong Again: 50 Years of Failed Eco-Pocalyptic Predictions.” Competitive Enterprise Institute, 26 May 2021, https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions/.
  2. Bier, Jeryl. “Planet Still Standing 500 Days after French Foreign Minister Warned of ‘Climate Chaos’.” Washington Examiner, Washington Examiner, 29 Sept. 2015, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/planet-still-standing-500-days-after-french-foreign-minister-warned-of-climate-chaos. 
  3. Verkailk, Robert. “Just 96 Months to Save World, Says Prince Charles.” The Independent, 8 July 2009, www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/just-96-months-to-save-world-says-prince-charles-1738049.html.
  4. Ahmed, Nafeez. “Ice-Free Arctic in Two Years Heralds Methane Catastrophe – Scientist.” The Guardian, 24 July 2013, www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/jul/24/arctic-ice-free-methane-economy-catastrophe.
  5. Batten, Don. “A Biblical and Scientific Approach to Climate Change.” Creation.Com | Creation Ministries International, 30 Nov. 2022, creation.com/climate-change

Yonge Earth:

1. McDonald, K.L. and R.H. Gunst. “An analysis of the earth’s magnetic field from 1835 to 1965,” ESSA Technical Report IER 46-IES I (July 1967) U.S. Govt. Printing Office, Washington, D.C., Table 3, p. 14.
  2. Humphreys, D. Russell. “The Mystery of Earth’s Magnetic Field.” The Institute for Creation Research, Institution of Creation Research, 1 Feb. 1989, https://www.icr.org/article/mystery-earths-magnetic-field.
  3. Snelling, Andrew. “The Earth’s Magnetic Field and the Age of the Earth.” Creation.com | Creation Ministries International, Creation Ministries International, 20 Apr. 2022, https://creation.com/the-earths-magnetic-field-and-the-age-of-the-earth
  4. Ham, Ken. The New Answers. Vol. 1, Master Books, 2006.
  5. “11 Year Old College Graduate; Boy Genius Wants to Prove God Exists through Science.” YouTube, Greg Lancaster, VFNtv, 11 Aug. 2018, https://youtu.be/DH9–D3-Xh8?t=263. Accessed 11 Apr. 2023.