Senior Column: Kierstyn Beck

I’ve thought a lot about what I wanted to write about in my senior column. Should I write about my future plans, advice for underclassmen, my favorite memories? However,  I’ve realized that I want to take this time to appreciate other people. Although my teachers have taught me so much academically, such as the parts of the heart or how to conjugate in the preterite and imperfect, nothing compares to what they have taught me about myself, my peers, and life. I’d like to take this opportunity to personally thank four teachers that have made a large impact on me throughout my Highschool career.

Mrs. Brown,

As some of you know, I am planning on majoring in film. Mrs. Brown is the TV9 and Movie Production teacher here at North. She has been my biggest mentor this year. I remember the first time I talked to her about my love for film. It felt as though she saw something in me that no one has ever seen before. I finally had met someone that saw my passion and shared it with me. She has been the biggest help for me this year as I plan for college. Between helping me find what to look for when choosing a college, endless film advice and experience, and just being there for me to talk to. I am forever grateful for the encouragement she has given me and look forward to updating her on my future endeavors within the industry.

Mr. Greene,

Although I have only just recently had the opportunity to be a student of Mr. Greene´s this year, I can easily say that he has become one of my favorite teachers. Mr. Greene has done such an amazing job with taking over the Drama Department after Ms. Henselin’s departure. He creates such a fun and creative environment in his classroom. Every day I’m looking forward to period 3 when I get to converse with him and my other hilarious classmates. I always felt like I could entirely be myself with no shame in his class. I’m so excited to see the improvements and change he continues to make to the North Drama Department in the coming years.

Ms. Bougie,

I had Ms. Bougie as a teacher for my first three years at North. My favorite quality of Ms. Bougie is how personable she is with students. No matter how small of a detail I told her, she would always remember it and make sure to ask me about it later on. I remember when I first started getting into film, I was reading a ¨how to create a short film¨ book, and she stopped me to ask about it. She genuinely cared about what I had to say and what I was interested in. Ms. Bougie was actually the first person to tell me about Mrs. Brown and that I should talk to her about filmmaking. I’m very thankful I took that advice because it greatly helped me later on. Ms. Bougie is so amazing at her job and I know that anyone who has her as a teacher can appreciate how caring she is.

Mr. Cummings,

The last teacher I would like to thank is my journalism teacher and advisor to my favorite club— The North Star—Mr. Cummings. I found such a passion in writing through his class. His energy always brought so much fun to the class and created such an exciting atmosphere. His encouragement of student-led work guided me to become a better writer and videographer. I’m thankful I had the opportunity to be a part of such a wonderful club. Some of my favorite memories in high school took place in the Journalism 2 classroom.

Another big thank you to the four teachers listed here and any other teachers I’ve had throughout my time at North. I have such a high respect for teachers and appreciate everything you do for us students. I will miss you all and hope to see you sometime in the future!