Veterans Day 2022

Hibben’s passion for photography started in high school

Lexy Holovack

Bob Hoffman introduces Chris Hibben

Jordyn Rammer, Reporter

Students use the four years of high school to find their identities. They might try a new club or activity, take a class they never heard of before, or change their clothes to fit it. While a student might find a lifelong passion and identity, others might not stick with what they try. 

And that’s okay.

“Quitting [only] happens when you give up on the best version of yourself,” says Chris Hibben, veteran and special guest speaker at the annual ONHS Veterans Day assembly held Nov. 10, who never lost sight of his passion that began right here in our halls despite a lack of direction and several military deployments. 

Today, Hibben owns his own company, Snap 180 Media, a video production company and a culmination of a passion that began right here in these halls. He worked on the yearbook while in high school. However, he admits he did not know he would continue that work as an adult.

“Kids that think they know what they want [to do in high school], don’t; the kids that don’t know what they want to do probably have a better understanding of what they need to figure out about their life,” Hibben says. 

School was a way for him to get to the next part of his life. Hibben knew he had a passion for photography, but he wasn’t thinking about pursuing it. Without a set idea of what he wanted to do, he joined the military. He completed three deployments before he decided to move back to Oshkosh. Here, he started his career as a videographer for the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA).

After several years bouncing between television work and naval obligations, he enrolled in the Air Force in 2004 and shortly after started his own business in 2005. His company – Snap 180 Media – creates television content throughout the country for Fox News, Fox Sports, ESPN, Weather Channel, CNN, NBC, and others. 

Among other high-interest events like the protests after George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis, Hibben shot video in Washington, D.C. on January 6, 2021. 

“I saw grandmothers that were in their 80s walking down the street. The people protesting [President Joe Biden’s inauguration in Congress] weren’t the ones who went into the Capitol,” Hibben says.

Throughout his experience in the military, he learned 5 major lessons he wanted to impart to the students of Oshkosh North through his speech. Although these lessons were taught through the military and his personal life, some of the most influential people were teachers here at Oshkosh North.

Ron Harrell, former English teacher and yearbook advisor, held Hibben to a high standard and pushed him to be his best. 

“There were no breaks. You either got it right, or you didn’t. He taught that there were consequences for screwing up.” 

Randy Zentner, former choir director, pushed him to succeed in a different way. 

“He was gentler, but he expected 100%. He took the time to talk and be that mentor that pushes you to the next level.”

Lastly, former Psychology teacher Jim Buehner always took the time to listen. Hibben was a C, D level student, and Buehner always gave him a second chance to help bring that grade up.

Hibben’s grades and GPA never stopped him from becoming the person he wanted to be. His passion that began with the Oshkosh North’s Reflections yearbook soon became what is now his own company—but he still has a lot ahead of him.

“I’m still not done. You never stop shooting. You never stop working. You never stop being the best at something. I didn’t learn that in high school; I learned it in the military.”