Graduation returns to the weekday

Matthew Centner, Editor

As the 2021-2022 school year comes to a close, Oshkosh North will hold its annual graduation ceremony to celebrate the class of 2022 on Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 6 PM at the Oshkosh Arena.
The ceremony will feature four special speakers: OASD Superintendent Bryan Davis, Principal Jacquelyn Kiffmeyer, and a student speaker from the class of 2022, Talia Sheehan, President of Polaris and Key Club.

Sheehan is nervous about presenting, but she is also confident in herself.

“If I’m being honest, I didn’t know how many people I would be speaking in front of until a few days after I learned I would be the speaker. But I know I am going to be fine; I was in Forensics for 4 years, so speaking in front of people is nothing new.”

Her speech will be a big thank-you to all of the staff at Oshkosh North, as well as her fellow classmates who will be graduating with her.

Yearbook advisor and English teacher Sara Klein will be the faculty speaker for this year’s graduation ceremony.

“I felt extremely honored and touched when I found out I was the graduation speaker,” says Klein. “I have really loved this class of seniors, so I’m very excited to be able to be a part of their special ceremony honoring them.”

Four valedictorians have been selected for the Class of 2022: seniors Lindsay Porst, Jack Kese, Emily Heider, and Avery Doemel. While the number of valedictorians varies every year, there are typically three to six students, as getting a 4.0 GPA is quite difficult.

“They [the class of 2022] have been so much fun this year, and have made this difficult school year a lot brighter than it would have been for me,” Klein reflects. “I have laughed every single day this year because of these kids. We have so many inside jokes that have made class so much fun. I’m really going to miss them; they were very special to me.”

There will be no special protocols for the ceremony, but there are certain rules to follow before you enter the Oshkosh Arena. Of course, the Arena does not allow alcohol, illegal substances, or weapons of any kind. Cigarettes and vapes are prohibited as well. Glass bottles, metal cans, outside food, and selfie sticks are also not permitted in the Arena, as stated on their website.

It remains unclear why this year’s graduation date for North High was moved from Memorial Day weekend to a weekday. Oshkosh West’s graduation ceremony will also be held in the same location on May 27, a Friday night.