Student Athlete Spotlight: Makaylar Larson

Jeramiah Housworth Jr, Sports Writer

When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. When you have a lot of fun you can have a lot of success.

Larson has been playing Tennis for over 13 years. He can be seen making jokes, having fun, and keeping spirits high, even when the weather isn’t the greatest. He spends much of his spring competing on the court playing tennis whether it be doubles or singles. 

“I have been playing tennis since I was strong enough to hold a racket,” says Larson.

Unlike other players with fancy decked out bags full of gear and every accessory, Larson travels light with only his racket, a bottle of water, and some music.

“I just never thought I needed any of the extra, unimportant stuff,” says Larson.

Larson had the luxury to play with his older brother, Kauldon, last year. Kauldon and Larson made it all the way to state, where they lost in the second round.

“It was fun to learn and grow with my brother,” says Larson.

Playing in doubles has led to many memorable games. However, he will never forget the first time he played with his older brother.

” It was an awesome game. We won. My parents were here and so were my grandparents. There was quite the audience, and it was exciting,” says Larson.

Larson, similar to many athletes, defines success in many different ways.

“When I play doubles, I focus on making a connection with whomever my partner is, being comfortable, keeping a rhythm and having fun,” says Larson, who competed in doubles last year.

This year, Larson will be competing in mainly singles and a few doubles. 

“Singles are harder and more mental, I think to be successful you need to push through and keep your hopes up. That is all easy when you’re having fun,” says Larson.

Many athletes have post-game rituals or stuff they do after a game or match. For Larson, that entails finding a spot to grab food with the team.

“The seniors last year really helped bond the team together. I hope to do the same this year,” says Larson.

Larson consists of athletes. His father played tennis in college and is a major influence in Larson’s motivation. 

“My dad has been a major coach and a positive influence on both my life and my game since I can remember,” says Larson.

Larson looks up to movie character King Richard, played by Will Smith. The film is based on the story of Venus and Serena Williams.

Larson will attend University of Wisconsin-Madison where he will study biomedical engineering/medical equipment.

“The first year will be hard, but I believe in myself,” says Larson.

Larson hopes to be a leader for the North tennis team this year and leave his legacy on the program.