Black Student Union to host all-school assembly Feb. 15

Lizzy Scharpf, Writer

On Tuesday, Feb. 15 the Black Student Union of Oshkosh North will hold an all-school assembly to honor black history month.   

The day will consist of a guest speaker from UW-Oshkosh and several student performances. In addition, the BSU is inviting community members from the school board, central office, and local businesses. 

“We will have a number of wonderful leaders within the community celebrating with us . . . [and] will be showcasing ONHS BSU student performances of song, dance, and speech,” BSU advisor and Diversity Coordinator Ahveon Smith says.

This will be the first time celebrating Black History month, which has been publicly recognized by American presidents since 1976, as a full school. Principal Jacquelyn Kiffmeyer believes it’s long overdue. 

Black history is American history and it is important for us to be able to authentically celebrate and grow in our understanding – as individuals and as an entire school community,” Kiffmeyer says.

Guest speaker Dr. Alphonso Simpson, Jr., UWO’s  director of African American Studies, the associate professor of Sociology, and the Vice President of the National Conference for Black Studies, will discuss “Black History Month: More Than Just Words.”Black History month typically highlights achievements by Black people that often get overlooked.

The purpose of this assembly is to uplift and amplify important contributors to Black history,” Smith says. 

The BSU advocates the needs of black students and creates a safe space for them to talk about the black experience. It is student led by the president Amaya Hogan and advised by Instructional Support Teacher Bobbi Cummings and Smith. Anyone can join the BSU.

“What a lot of people don’t know is that you don’t have to be black to join the BSU. You can join the BSU as long as you share the same beliefs as we have and have the same end goal,” sophomore Sanai Pettis says.

By having the BSU lead the assembly, Kiffmeyer hopes that the assembly has more immediacy and relevance for Oshkosh North.

“This assembly is an opportunity to understand Black histories that go beyond stories and to spotlight Black achievement.”

To make time for the event, North will follow a revised bell schedule that opens up time beginning at 2:30 for the assembly.