Haliburton Returns Home for Jersey Retirement

Mia Salbego, Writer

Tyrese Haliburton returned to Oshkosh North on Friday, Jan. 21st to accept his induction into the North hall of fame and retire his infamous number 13 jersey. 

In a press conference with Haliburton prior to the ceremony, he spoke on how special this occasion, and being back in his hometown, was to him. 

“It’s really pretty cool. I’ve been getting so many texts from friends here and old classmates who are all so excited for me. I probably sound washed up telling my girlfriend about, I used to do this, I used to do that, but it’s just fun to think back. High school was a lot of fun.”

Being back in the Oshkosh North fieldhouse also brings back plenty of memories for Haliburton. 

“I just reminisce,” he says. “There were a lot of good times, a lot of bad times too. I spent so much time in that gym, cried a lot of happy tears, sad tears, and everything in between.” 

Frank Schade, the Oshkosh North Boys Basketball coach of 31 seasons–three with Haliburton on the team, spoke at the ceremony, sharing his own memories of “Ty” and cracking up the audience with stories of Haliburton’s up and coming basketball journey. 

Schade shared a story about how it felt watching Haliburton grow up both as a person and as a player.

“Most people know that Ty grew up on Smith Street, which is two blocks from the high school here,” says Schade. “I can remember driving to and from the school, and would always see this skinny little kid shooting baskets on Smith Street. Sometimes with his dad, sometimes his brothers, but it was daily. All the time. He would work; he had that drive to constantly get better.”

Coach Schade also pointed out what seems to be one of Haliburton’s greatest assets—his ability to play as a great teammate.

“He’s always made all the players very valuable to the team. That’s a quality that’s really different nowadays,” says Schade. “As I watch him today, he still plays the same way. He doesn’t know what he’s scored in a game, unless his mother tells him.”

The respect, though, goes both ways in this player-coach relationship.

“My whole life I just wanted to impress him,” Haliburton recalls when speaking about the impact Coach Schade had on him throughout his basketball career.

Brad Weber, who led Oshkosh North to it’s record number of 27 victories during his first year on the bench–culminating in the school’s first State title–was another one of Haliburton’s high school coaches who noticed his ability to play as a true team player.

“This number 14 jersey symbolizes a great player, who only truly cares about being great for his teammates and his team.”

Haliburton averaged 23.2 points, 6.3 assists, 5.2 rebounds and 3.7 steals over the 24 games of his senior season, the same year he would lead the Spartans to win the state championship.

At Iowa State, where he attended college, Haliburton was named to the Second Team All-Big 12 as a sophomore. After his sophomore year, he announced he would be entering the 2020 NBA draft. Haliburton was pick 12 in round one of the draft by the Sacramento Kings. 

“Growing up, teachers always asked, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?,’ and I always said, ‘An NBA player.’ Then it was always the, ‘Let’s pick so

mething a little more realistic.’ But, this has always been realistic for me.”

As a rookie for the Kings, Haliburton averaged 13 points, 3 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. The following year, he progressed, averaging 13.4 points, 4 rebounds, and 7 assists. Haliburton’s hard work was recognized when he was named a top three finalist for Rookie of the Year in May of 2021. The following June, he was named to the NBA All Rookie First Team. 

Haliburton left the fieldhouse with an overarching message to athletes, nonathletes, and young and old alike.

“I hope whoever you are, not even just children, just people in general, you chase your dreams, and do what you want to do in this life. Time is short, life is short, and we don’t have any time to waste.”