Student Athlete spotlight: Senior Peyton Lyon

Jeramiah Housworth Jr, Writer

Peyton Lyon

QB Oshkosh North Spartans

Senior 12th grade 

3rd in the state at the Quarterback position

Fun fact: Peyton has been playing the quarterback position since kindergarten!

If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life.

Senior Peyton Lyon has dedicated his life to the game of football. He doesn’t see it as work  because he enjoys the grind.

Lyon spends much of his free time to better his game and his academics, taking lessons from quarterback coaches across the country, flying to multiple states in the off season to meet with coaches and go to college camps. He has been a large part of the Oshkosh North Spartans’ success in football the past few years leading to a 4-2 record in his first season as a starter and earning a first team all conference award. Currenlty, he is ranked 3rd in the state at his position.

Lyon has always strived for success in his life, including football, academics, and various other endeavors. He always tries to find joy during his day.

“If I can find happiness and joy during my day, I know I have found success,” says Lyon. 

He largely dedicates this mentality to his older brother Dylan who passed away. Lyon uses his older brother to find something he loves in his life everyday, that may be football, friends or school.

“I just look for happiness in my day,” says Lyon 

Lyon has high hopes of playing football at the collegiate level next year. He is currently exploring scholarship opportunities to different colleges within the country.

“I really don’t care where I play; I just want to play,” Lyon says. He hopes to study communications. 

Lyon has dedicated the summer and winter months to training exclusively for football.

“I take part in camps all over the country, often in california,” says Lyon. “I find joy in training. I use a variety of training methods in the offseason, like lifting, and agility work.”

He leads a healthy lifestyle, as eating a balanced diet is key to growing muscle and staying in mid-season form.

Lyon looks up to his NFL role model Patrick Mahomes for workouts and Aaron Rodgers as a model of a good quarterback.

As many other athletes, Lyon takes part in many pregame rituals.

“I love to get food and sometimes visit the cemetery where my brother is buried. Sometimes I get food with my girlfriend Heidi”. 

Music is a huge part of many peoples pregame rituals such as Lyons. 

“I listen to Drake, and Rod Wave.”

After a postage win, Lyon and friends will often go out and get food which often ends up being Lyon’s favorite food: burgers or wings. This is one of many ways he celebrates success

Win or lose, Lyon stays grounded. He puts his nose to the grind because he knows he has more than just the fans in the stands.