First school board meeting of 2020/2021 set for tonight

Max Yanacek, Chief and Graphics Editor

An Oshkosh Area School District (OASD) board meeting is scheduled for today (9/9) to discuss, among other things, how the district has handled the COVID-10 situation in its schools.

Thus far, three buildings have been forced to the virtual model: Oshkosh North, Merrill Middle, and Washington Elementary.

Oshkosh North students and staff are well aware that changes to the learning day can occur almost instantly as we saw when the school lacked staff to properly run last week. Although previous decisions to switch models may have seemed spontaneous, the OASD has prepared to shift between four learning models outlined in the 2020-21 School Year Plan with an updated understanding of the COVID-19 situation every two weeks. After looking at the data that WCHD releases 9/10, district officials will determine which model provides the safest environment for students.

With the evaluation of the newest data, Oshkosh North and other district schools could see another rapid change in learning models this or next week.

For those interested, the live stream of the district board meeting can be found on the Oshkosh Gov TV on September 9, beginning at 6:00 PM.

Meetings to analyze the most recent county COVID-19 numbers will continue to be held every two weeks of the school year in order to maintain an accurate assessment of the COVID-19 situation throughout the district’s schools.