Boy’s Swim Making a Splash

Swim coach Jacob Landgraf

Jack Kese, Writer

The Oshkosh North/Lourdes Boys Swimming and Diving Team is poised for yet another solid winter in the pool. The team hopes to build upon a state-qualifying season from last year’s senior Eddie Hansen, who competed in the breaststroke and the 50-free. 

This year, Coach Jacob Landgraf has another deep arsenal of talented swimmers at his disposal. With a lot of new and young blood around, the swimmers know they’ve got to step up in order to replace Hansen. Coach Landgraf seemed excited about what these guys could do in a new season.

“We look forward to strong performances from our four returning seniors: Andy McAvoy, Bristol Boelter, Dylan Wegehaupt, and Reis Hitz,” Landgraf said.

The four seniors all had strong performances during the championship season last year. The team also has high expectations for sophomores Trey, Chase, and Peirce Pecore, who received Honorable Mention All-Conference last year. 

Some other first-year seniors that are showing raw talent are Scott Swanlund, Spencer Tierney, Lukas Kleveland, and Brendan Krumrei. Landgraf also finds his incoming freshman class very promising, especially Lourdes freshman Owen Konop, who swam for OSHY (Oshkosh YMCA Swim Team) for seven years and even made it to the YMCA nationals.

“The main goal for this year,” says Coach Landgraf, “is obviously keeping on pace.” This year’s returning swimmers think that they need to build a larger varsity squad, have an above .500 meet record, place 3rd or 4th during the conference meet, and each swimmer getting their best times in every meet, to name a few.

Talking about the team’s strengths, Landgraf was very proud of the positive attitude his team brings each and every day. 

We have a very positive attitude on our team. The guys support one another and push each other to do better.” 

The team is also exceptional at individual improvement. 

“Our emphasis on personal improvement is also a major strength on our team. I keep track of everyone’s improved times and the guys take pride in their improvements. By improving every swimmer, we improve our standing as a team.” 

The team will need to increase the diversity of their swimming styles according to Landgraf.

“Many of our guys’ comfort level is with freestyle so I would like to push some of them out of their comfort zone and try new events.”

In summary, pay attention to the 2019-20 Oshkosh North/Lourdes swimming and diving team. As a group, they should be a joy to watch compete this winter, and hopefully early spring in the state meet.