New Year, New Chromebooks

Max Yanacek, Entertainment Editor

Four years have passed since Chromebooks were introduced as part of education at Oshkosh North. With this coming school year being the fifth, every student will be receiving a new computer in their homeroom on the first day of school. 

Here’s what you should know.

1. New model

The new device model is HP Chromebook 11 G7 EE. They are by no means the newest or best computers on the market but are designed to be durable with decent performance.

1. Not very different physically

Despite being all new, apart from a new color and case (identical to those used by last year’s ninth graders), not much about the Chromebooks looks different, including the screen. 

1. No touch screen

Contrary to what you may have heard, there are no touch screens on the new devices. This is due to an automatic $100 fee charged for any form of repair on a Chromebook with a touch screen.

1. Much faster

Although they do not have touchscreens, the new Chromebooks work at least 20% faster than the old ones, allowing students to work more quickly and efficiently without the stress of lag and buffering.

1. Clean repair slate

Students will begin the new year without a damage record, regardless of any damage or repair they may have had on their previous Chromebook.

1. New warranty

Additionally, students will be receiving a new warranty they can use at any time. This means that it can be saved for a greater expense when a repair is minimal.

1. Free first repair

Like last year, first time repairs are free considering that the device is still operational and is not damaged intentionally or due to neglect. To get your Chromebook repaired, visit the Chromebook Help Desk in the Media Center.

Although the new Chromebooks are not the best available, lacking some features that would be nice to have, overall these missing components will save the district and students lots of money. And students do not need to feel like they are settling as the new Chromebooks are an immense improvement from the previous four-year-old devices.

Have a great year and enjoy your new Chromebooks!