Thor bids adieu

Jaime Thor, Writer

My 4 years at Oshkosh North High School has had its ups and downs, as life does. Thinking back on it all, I remember many late nights either studying until my eyes burned or writing very last minute essays, some bad habits that I still fall victim to even now.

Despite these unchanging things that have stayed with me since my freshman year, there has definitely been growth. I got more involved in clubs and volunteer work. Through those activities, I learned the importance of responsibility and independence, skills that are vital to being successful in the real world.

Something I still need to master is time management, another very important skill that is a necessity in the future. To all the underclassmen reading this, make sure you learn how to balance school work with your social life and job(s). You don’t want to end up writing your senior column for the school newspaper the morning it’s due!

Another thing I wish I could go back and change is not applying for scholarships sooner. There are so many scholarships out there, and the more you apply for, the more likely you are to get them. It’s definitely more difficult to win the big scholarships, but if you apply and get a bunch of small amount ones, those add up in the long run. One of my favorite online sources for scholarships is unigo.com. With unigo, you just have to fill out a quick profile and then they will give you a whole list of scholarships that you are qualified for. I have won a couple of scholarships with that website, and I’ll be using the scholarship money to further my education at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL.

There, I will be majoring in some type of social science, although I’m not sure exactly which one yet. I’m hoping to get into the forensic science field. I have a particular interest in forensic anthropology.

Finally, I would like to thank the people who have helped me along the way. I wouldn’t have been as motivated or had as much willpower if it weren’t for those few people who believed in me. I would like to thank Mr. Cummings for always being a positive person and looking on the brighter side of things. I would also like to thank Mrs. Duffy-Ulrich for personally touching the hearts of all her students and helping me find my true potential as a musician. It’s the little things like saying a simple hi and smiling at students in the hallway that Mr. Cummings and Mrs. Duffy-Ulrich do that can change someone’s day completely.

I bid all my fellow seniors farewell and good luck on whichever path they have chosen for themselves, whether it’s college, work, or military.

Part of the journey is the end.

Best wishes!