Communities launches Heart Week

Communities, Reader Submitted

Sasquatch Days at Oshkosh North High School is a rich, spirit-filled tradition designed to help students and staff beat the winter blues and re-energize the school community through a variety of events.  This year, the Communities program is adding another dimension to the week by raising awareness about the leading cause of death in the United States, heart disease.

To prepare for “Heart Week,” students in the community-based learning program read a variety of studies and articles about heart health and engaged in hands-on learning experiences with numerous community experts. Local experts offered their knowledge and talents in the anatomy of the heart, bystander CPR, yoga, medical advancements and care, dietary needs, and kinesiology.

Along with developing knowledge and skills surrounding heart health, students will organize many events throughout the week: a yoga session and a bystander CPR session during study halls, healthy snack corners and exercise activities between class periods, philanthropic dodge ball and a philanthropic heart wall.

Any student interested can sign up for a yoga session on Thursday. Mats will be provided. No experience necessary.

Lastly, Oshkosh North’s Rotary Interact Club will host North’s winter formal, “Heart to Heart,” on Saturday, February 16 from 8-11 PM. Some of the dance proceeds will be donated to the American Heart Association.

Communities is a school program at Oshkosh North High School that offers students a unique way to learn literacy, business, and social studies while covering all required district standards.  The Communities program collaborates with businesses, organizations, and members of the community in an effort to provide an authentic learning experience while improving the community.