North celebrates Nimke, Veterans

North celebrates Nimke, Veterans

Grace Vanderhei, Chief editor

Veteran’s day is celebrated on the eleventh day every November. However, this year at Oshkosh North, we recognized American veterans on Monday, November 12. The seventh annual assembly included numerous speakers: Principal Mrs.Jacklynn Kiffmeyer, Student Council President Emmeline Liske, Bob Hoffman, and honorary speaker Mr. Bren Nimke.

Nimke is an Oshkosh-native and is the son of North custodian Doug and has a wife Carol. Nimke graduated from Oshkosh West in 2002 and enlisted in the Wisconsin Army National Guard shortly after. In addition to the National Guard, in 2004 Nimke decided to serve on Active Duty in the US Army as a sniper for three years. His decision to enlist was heavily influenced by his family.

Nimke said, “I grew up in a military family. Many of my uncles and grandparents had served and I saw the impact [of serving] on their lives.”

As for his personal experience in the military, Nimke said, “The military had a very profound impact on my life. Serving in the United States Army allowed me to succeed in a variety of ways, it helped me pursue dreams, and I learned valuable life lessons.”

Nimke shared the lessons he learned while in active duty during his speech. He recited the three most important concepts to take away from his presentation: knowing your personal potential, patience, and stubbornness. Nimke applied these lessons to the military and high school, such as: the process of becoming a sniper studying for tests or trying out for sports teams.

Nimke remembers his own high school experience, saying he was just like any typical high schooler.

Nimke said, “In high school, I was in sports; I wrestled and played football. I was a part of the football team, but I was also in band. I would say I enjoyed high school, but I didn’t focus on academics or study much. Football and wrestling helped prepare me for the military, as [the sports] taught me discipline and how to work as a team.”

After the military, though, Nimke pursued a college degree. He said that before the military his GPA was average, and afterward, he made the Dean’s List and excelled at school.

As for high school students aspiring to join the military, Nimke has some advice.

Nimke said, “Research what you want to do, what branch of the military you want to pursue. Also, commit 100 percent to your choice and embrace the journey.”

After an honorable discharge after sustaining an injury while in Iraq, Nimke moved back to Wisconsin with his wife Robyn and two daughters. Through his time in the military, Nimke has won over eleven awards, including the 2006 Soldier of the Year award, and earned the rank of sergeant. Despite his accomplishments in his career, Nimke says he is most proud of his family.